Seafood is one of those things that people seem to either love or hate. I’m on the side of love, serious l-o-v-e. I lived in Greenville, South Carolina for a few years and I have yet to find a city with such an amazing variety of seafood. Case in point, a beautiful restaurant called Soby’s that served the best crab cakes I’d ever eaten. I took a photo with an actual camera because the CEO of Instagram was 22 years old at this point, and thought to myself, I must learn to cook crab cakes.
It’s taken 10 years and many inedible dinners, but I finally landed on an easy and delicious recipe.
Good enough, right? I thought so too until moving to Chicago. Heaven on Seven is a game-changer, people. I never thought a Midwestern restaurant could compete with the South’s Cajun-Creole, but their gumbo could easily be my last meal on Earth. While I wouldn’t put their crab cakes in the same category as Soby’s, chef Jimmy Bannos’s side dressing is the perfect addition.
Happy Friday! Get cookin’.
-16 oz. cooked crabmeat
-1 cup Italian bread crumbs
-1/2 cup minced shallots
-1/4 cup chopped green onions
-1 tbsp. dried parsley
-1/3 cup half-and-half
-2 tbsp. lemon juice
-2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
-1/4 tsp. Cayenne pepper
-3 tbsp. unsalted butter
-2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- Place bread crumbs in a food processor and pulse until coarse.
- In a small saucepan, melt 1 tbsp. of butter and add the shallots and green onions. Saute until soft, about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the bread crumbs, crab meat, shallots, onions, and parsley. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk in eggs, half-and-half, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, and Cayenne pepper.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the crab mixture and stir to combine.
- Divide mixture into 8 cakes, about 1 inch thick.
- In a medium skillet, heat 2 tbsp. of butter and 2 tsbp. of vegetable oil over medium heat. Working in batches, brown the cakes on each side, turning once until cooked through, about 6-8 minutes.
Honey Jalapeno Dressing
-2/3 cup low-fat mayonnaise
-1/2 cup heavy cream
-1/3 cup minced green onion
-1 1/2 tsp. minced jalapeno
-4 tsp. honey
-1/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
-1/4 tsp. black ground pepper
-1/8 tsp. Cayenne pepper
In a medium bowl, whisk in the mayonnaise and heavy cream and then add the remaining ingredients. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Crab cakes: MetroCozy original
- Honey Jalapeno Dressing from “The Heaven on Seven Cookbook: Where It’s Mardi Gras All the Time!” by Jimmy Bannos